Friday, August 8, 2008

The day is finally done

Phew! Skit practice is over. While we were practicing, the sky got really cloudy and yellow, and the wind was blowing eerily. Then the sky got red!! Then it got really dark, and started raining. There was some great lightening. But it was past the mountains from us. It was really cool because when the lightening lit up the dark sky, the mountains were outlined. It's cooler now, too, so maybe it will be nicer sleeping.

Last night we thought we would relax and watch some DVDs. After the crazy "survival games" at the hot hot school gym, we came back and bought 22oz Hites at the convenience store and started watching Arrested Development in Jamey's room. Then Silverstone comes by, and tells us there's a party in the teacher's lounge! We follow up him there, and all the Korean teachers and a few other American teachers are there. There's Hite and snacks set out. We had a great time. The thing about Hite is that you can drink a lot of it and enjoy the company, but it's so light and watered down that there is no hangover the next morning! At least for me, anyway.

So today ends our three-day run of teaching two classes per day. Tomorrow is a half day of classes, then Mini Olympics (another hot time in a gym with teenagers and their sweaty smells).

Oh, I was going to write about teaching! I am surprised at how much I like teaching, and I think I am pretty good at it! The students may think the subject is boring (everyday numbers!) but I think I at least make it fun. I had one of the best classes yesterday. Everytime I walked into the room, the students would all start applauding!! It was kind of weird, actually :-) I finally asked why they applauded, and the girls said, "Teacher, beautiful!" For some reason they were really energetic and did what I asked them with enthusiasm. Today I had one of the worst classes. It was after lunch, and everyone was tired. I was tired! I was glad when the class was over.

From what I gather, this co-teacher method is common in Korean English classes. There is a Korean teacher who has studied English in the class who can help translate and explain things and make sure the students understand, and a "native" speaker to take charge of the lessons. I can tell that the middle school students are better speakers that the elementary students. It is somewhat exhausting teaching English in Korea because even though the students and the Korean teachers can speak English, I have to really pay attention to understand what they are saying. So it's not like having a conversation with another English speaker, it takes more concentration. I actually like to kind of repeat what I think they are saying as they talk, to make sure I am hearing them correctly. So after a day of teaching and this intense listening, I am quite tired! Time for bed.

No comments: